How Often To Replace A Car Battery
Wondering how often to replace a car battery? The lifespan of a car battery is four to five years before a full car battery replacement is necessary. A car battery can have a longer life depending on its environment, maintenance, and treatment. Below, the service team at Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet provides the answers to your most pressing questions, like how much is a replacement car battery, as well as how to test a car battery. Rock Hill, SC drivers can learn more with us, below!
How Much is a Replacement Car Battery?
Depending on your vehicle, the cost of a car battery replacement varies. The typical price ranges from $75 to $120. If your car requires a premium battery, expect to pay $200 or more. A Hybrid car battery works harder, which means that a car battery replacement will cost more. To replace a car battery in a Hybrid vehicle ranges between $1,000 to $6,000. Fortunately, the lower gas consumption counteracts this price.
How to Know if Your Car Battery Needs to Be Replaced
There are warning signs to watch out for when it comes to your car battery. Your vehicle will show you signs that can help you know when a car battery needs replacing. Here are the warning signs to look out for:
- Dimming headlights
- Engine revving or the frequent need for jump-starts
- Longer start time for the engine to turn upon key/push button
- Unusual power fluctuations
What Causes a Car Battery to Deteriorate?
- Weather – Hot and cold temperatures can cause stress to your car battery. Use a garage, shaded area, or carport. Protecting your vehicle from the elements can go a long way for the life of your car battery.
- Vibrations – Loose hold-down clamps and rough terrain can shorten the life of your car battery.
- Jump-Starts – Jump-starting your vehicle too often can cause damage to the car battery.
- Charge Cycles – A vehicle can only have so many charge cycles. Therefore, replacing a car battery is inevitable. However, proper car maintenance can prolong the life of a car battery.
How to Test a Car Battery
If you are in the Concord area and wonder how to test a car battery, Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet has the answers.
The Headlight Test:
- Turn on the engine
- Keep the car in park
- Turn on the headlights
- Rev the engine to see if the headlight brightness changes
- If the headlights do get brighter, it means the current is weak. The headlights should shine like normal while the car is idling.
You can also purchase a Digital Multimeter to test your car battery. If your car battery fails either test, it is time to schedule a service appointment.
Replace Your Car Battery at Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet!
Whether you live in Gastonia or the surrounding area, Rick Hendrick City Chevrolet can help with the proper maintenance of your car! Contact us if you need a car battery replacement or if you’re seeking further maintenance tips, such as how to make your tires last longer. If you are thinking it may be time to invest in an entirely new vehicle, we have a wide selection of new Chevrolet vehicles for you to choose from!